avoiding germs on BART
I have a love-hate relationship with public transit. Convenient, reliable, and cheap, but also increases your chances of getting sick from all the inconsiderate office martyrs coming into to work coughing and sneezing to demonstrate what troopers they are.
Anyway, it's not like they're going to stop. So I've gotten bits & pieces of advice from various people in my life on how to avoid getting sick on BART and put together a list:
1. Go to the ends of the trains - Fewer people = fewer germs running around.
2. Leave the abandoned newspaper alone - covered with germs from people coughing/sneezing into it.
3. Don't touch anything - especially the handrails and seats.
4. If it stinks, keep moving - disease-ridden stinkers are usually walking petri dishes.
5. Pick the darker, emptier cabins - people avoid them so they're emptier.
6. If you touched something, hands out of the pockets - don't contaminate your wallet, keys, etc.
7. Wash your hands when you get to your destination.
8. Move away from the coughers and hold your breath.
9. Avoid children - they're worse than the stinkers in #4
10. Avoid your cellphone - research says they're worse than toilet seats.
I have my list here, if you have anything to add please do for our health's sake